A Brief History
of the Organ
Wurlitzer Opus 792 was built as style D, two manual six rank Special,
leaving the factory on 28
February 1924. Initially stored in San Francisco.
27 March 1924 shipped to Los
Angeles, CA Wurlitzer Store.
Installed in the 800 seat Olympic Theatre, Seattle.
The Seattle organ firm of Balcom and Vaughan enlarged the console to
3 manuals, added 2 ranks, and installed the organ in radio station
KHQ in the Eastern Washington city of Spokane.
Ernest Manly removed the
organ from the KHQ and began the installation in his home in Kirkland,
1989-90 Sold to Ian McLean in Australia. The organ was crated along
with a replacement 3 manual console, which was purchased from Larry
Weid of Sacramento. Everything
was trucked to Seattle for the container shipment to Australia.
Delivered to its new owner in
Aranda, Canberra, ACT (with additional organ components).
stored and later moved to Queanbeyan, NSW.
The organ was sold to Ray
and Carolyn Thornley, Wonthaggi, Gippsland, Victoria. With
Ray's sudden passing, the organ was to be moved once more.
With the prospects
of a permanent home in the restored heritage Wesley of Warragul,
the organ was bought by Julien Arnold, John McLennan and Stan Wilson.
Stan donated his part share
to the Warragul Theatre Organ Society (WTOS).
volunteers and members of the Society have helped in the rebuilding
and installation of the organ. Special thanks to the 'Fab Four'
- Julien, John, Neville and Neil.
March 2008 Grand Opening. This 3/10 WurliTzer pipe
organ, in its purpose built chamber at Wesley of Warragul,
Gippsland, Australia, fully restored to concert performance